Ahhh, Back to School time…early mornings, catching buses, getting to school on time. It can all be halted by one misplaced shoe, missing backpack, or the lost library book that is due back TODAY.
My son is in second grade this year, and I am homeschooling my 3 year old, and I knew that if I was going to be able to handle both, I HAD to get a grip on some sort of schedule that keep everyone on track. So, the Sunday before the first day of school, I decided that we needed a School Zone Command Center. We had one last year, but it was very basic…a place to hang their backpacks, and a place to pin the calendar.
This year we needed to have a place for everything…and so, at 9:30 PM on the day before school started this was born!
- I have a hanging organizer that holds a weeks worth of clothes, and a basket at the top that holds extra socks or underwear, which is hanging from a shower curtain rod, suspended between my two very large bookshelves.
- There is a shoe rack where ALL of the shoes go.
- A bulletin board for pinning everything important…lunch menus, schedules, calendars, etc..
- I also found that great little picture frame that had hooks on it (I will be adding a picture of the kids)
- Lastly, I placed my sons Kindergarten Diploma, and my Daughters Toddler Time Certificate, on the wall to tie it all together.
*I will be adding a book basket, for library books!*
I threw this together with things that I had around the house, because as a Thrifty Mom, the last thing I wanted or needed to do, was spend money on some fancy shmancy command center. This works perfect for our family, and as the kids get older, I can change it to fit our needs.
So what does your command center look like? Do you have one? What would you add? Please, chime in below, because I always love to hear from you!